Friday, July 20, 2012

Sweet Potato Hummus




I love hummus.oh yeah I do!

But it is expensive (at least for my budget) and you do not get very much in those little containers. The great thing about hummus is that you can make so many different kinds. I love the roasted red pepper and the chopped olive flavors. This recipe has sweet potatoes as the “add-in” ingredient. I just threw all the ingredients into my Vitamix and let it go.
Done in a minute.

1 can 29-oz Sweet Potatoes, drained and rinsed
1 can 15.5-oz Chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Tahini Paste
2 TBS Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 Garlic Clove Chopped *(1 tsp Granulated Garlic)
Season with Salt and Pepper

Drain and rinse Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup juice from chickpeas (or use 1/4 cup water as replacement). Combine all ingredients in food processor except reserved juice or water and blend. If too thick add juice or water to thin out. Will stay good one week in refrigerator. I have frozen this and had no problems once thawed out

*If you are using a Vitamix and have the same issue I have with garlic cloves, replace with 1 tsp granulated garlic.

Serve with chopped veggies, on chips, over black beans, egg burritos, fresh avocados, on whole wheat tortilla, cheese slices, the list could go on! I mixed this with my Summer Salsa recipe, AH-MAZING!


::  enjoy  ::

1 comment:

  1. I mix this up and nobody ate it but me the first day. Then Aaron & Elise took a taste.Everybody loved it. I used water from sweet potato instead of garbanzo beans& left out the olive oil but will try it next time. Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete